- Insurance Services
- Auto, Home & Personal Insurance
- Business Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Get An Instant Quote
Article originally posted on www.insuranceneighbor.com(opens in new tab)
The healthier you are, the lower the risk for the life insurance company. This is why they usually require a medical exam before issuing a policy. Great results on your examination can help you lock in lower life insurance rates for years to come. Get ready for your life insurance exam with the following tips.
Start Preparing Weeks Before Your Exam
Some simple dietary changes in the weeks leading up to your exam can make a difference in your results.
- Limit your alcohol intake. Women should limit their intake to one drink a day, and men should limit to one or two drinks a day. More than a moderate amount of alcohol can raise your blood pressure.
- Drink a lot of water. This cleans toxins out of your system and dilutes concentrations of sugar and protein.
- Reduce your sodium intake. Too much salt can lead to dehydration and concentrate your urine.
- Eat healthily. The foods you eat affect your blood work. Avoid sugar, processed foods, salt, and fat. Eat plenty of vegetables, including leafy greens.
Take Extra Steps the Day Before the Exam
A few precautions in the preceding 24 hours can help improve your exam results:
- Avoid red meat and cheese. They are high cholesterol foods.
- Avoid nicotine and alcohol. They can increase your blood pressure.
- Avoid over-the-counter meds. Antihistamines, decongestants, and other non-prescription medications can raise your blood pressure.
- Skip your workout. Any exercise, particularly cardio, can increase your blood pressure and pulse. It can also increase levels of protein in the urine and raise cholesterol levels.
- Get a good night’s sleep. If you sleep well the night before your exam, you will feel better, and that will be reflected in your vital signs.
What to Do on the Day of Your Exam
When it’s down to the wire on the day of your physical, there are still steps you can take for a better exam:
- Skip your morning coffee until after your exam. You should also avoid tea, soda, or any caffeinated drink.
- Drink plenty of water. This makes it easier to provide blood and urine samples.
- Wear lightweight clothing. Heavy clothing can affect your weight, and that can affect your rate class.
- Consider fasting. When you schedule your physical, ask if you should fast for eight hours before the exam. Fasting could help improve your glucose and cholesterol levels.
- Avoid any strenuous exercise. It can raise your blood pressure.
- Empty your bladder and keep your feet on the floor. During your blood pressure reading, avoid having a full bladder or dangling your legs, as both can raise your blood pressure.
What to Expect With a Life Insurance Medical Exam
Your insurance exam will consist of an interview and a physical exam. The examiner will go over statements you made on your application about your medications and any health conditions. You may be asked to provide contact information for your doctors.
In the physical exam, your weight, height, blood pressure, and pulse will be taken. You will likely have blood drawn and be asked to provide a urine sample. If you are 50+ years of age, you may be required to have an EKG.
Our knowledgeable agent will be happy to answer any questions you may have about life insurance.Filed Under: Life Insurance | Tagged With: Life Insurance